Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: Wife wants to dive for tako...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:18 pm 
HSD Member

...that being said, I want to make sure she is comfortable because if she's not, I'm sure she'll never go out with me(diving) again! :lol: Besides getting her a wetsuit for warmth, do you guys have any suggestions on some comfortable, not too pricey fins? To me, what kills me when I tako dive is the cold(before I got a wetsuit) and the way the fins get uncomfortable after a while...just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I was thinking of checking out McCully's and Hanapa'a...

mahalos in advance!

Post subject: Re: Wife wants to dive for tako...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:52 pm 
HSD Member

just make sure you take her to a nice easy spot on a really good day, because i took my wife out to a few of the rougher spots the first few times (because they have better fish) and in hindsight i should have started her off at easier spots. :lol: she did good and now she's hooked. another thing is if she says it's time to go in because she's seasick or cold or whatever, then it's time to go in. now if there's an ulua or uku or something around, then they've got to have a certain level of understanding. :lol:
you're diving for tako, though, so you should be okay. my wife started out with scuba fins and mask before finally upgrading to freedive equip. if she's adventurous i'd go ahead with the cressi's. that's what i started out with and jessica has some of her own. i found the foot pocket comfortable. have fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:26 pm 
HSD Member

:D alphadog808...make a one stop-shop at your nearest WallMart Store, and look into the U.S.Diver Gear-Set they carry there. It's inexpensive and not too shabby! As far as wet suits, well they have that too, but only Half-Suits. Reasonably priced tho! You can always up-grade later, when your Wife's comfortable going fo tako with you. But that's just my suggestion. It's really up to you....Good Luck Tako-Hunting, and gearing-up your Wife! But above all else..."DIVE SAFE...DIVE AKAMAI". :) :D :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:23 pm 
HSD Member

U could rent a pair of fins, just in case she doesn't like it....and if she hasn't been snorkeling before or is a so so swimmer, let her hang on your float or take a boogie board she can hang on to...guaraans she will want to adjust or clear her mask while in the middle of the ocean.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:32 pm 
HSD Member

Teach her the basics before you get into the water, what to expect, etc... Ask her if she has any questions the day before, or while you're at the beach.

A few things to cover:
clearing the snorkel
clearing her ears
dealing with foggy lenses
eels

Make sure to point out fish when she asks about them, and what to look for to see tako, if she has something to do out there then it'll be a lot more fun for her. Take breaks on the float if need be. I've taken a few people out who absolutely cannot dive, hated it, cried, were a nightmare, and others who are like fish in water.

Start her out at somewhere easy, with plenty of pretty fish to look at: sharks cove, waikiki, hanauma bay work well if you just want to get her used to the water, but no can spear.

You can also check out the post about beginning diver spots, many of those are good spots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:33 pm 
HSD Member

Get short fins so she can stand up easily without struggling with long fins. Go in shallow water, 5 feet at the most so she can touch bottom. Give her two three prongs, six feet long, teach her to ski pole in shallow water so she doesn't get tired out finning. And how to use one to keep herself in place when poking with the other one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:47 pm 
HSD Member

tomgra wrote:
Get short fins so she can stand up easily without struggling with long fins. Go in shallow water, 5 feet at the most so she can touch bottom. Give her two three prongs, six feet long, teach her to ski pole in shallow water so she doesn't get tired out finning. And how to use one to keep herself in place when poking with the other one.

I think anyone who can get tired in 5 feet of water is probably too big of a liability to let into the ocean. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:11 am 
HSD Member

Thanks for all the advice guys!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:56 am 
HSD Member

Take her out Kbay on a nice day. I'd get her some Cressi Reactions or Plumas. US Diver fins w/ some neoprene booties will work too. I used to pull my g/f around on a boogieboard which made her feel safer in the water. Gotta get her gloves too adn if you're going for tako and are palnning to let her touch it, don't use the blue Atlas gloves cause the tako gets stuck to those. Shorty suits are fine, Ive noticed that chicks take way longer to get cold in the water (at least the ones I've swam with)

Dude, you're SOOO lucky!! I'd give anything to have a wife or g/f that asks ME to go tako diving!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:10 pm 
HSD Member

i go tako hunting at chinaman's hat with my girlfriend and its a pretty mellow place.....